The Rorabaugh family


These are the oldest photos I own. It is a set of three people, related closely to each other, but very distantly from me.  I recently scanned these again while trying to work on one of my resolutions.


"Grandpa Rorabaugh"

"Lewis Rorabaughs daughter Rose and husband"

"Uncle Henry Rorabaugh"


I need to look a little more into the history of photographs of this era.  I believe that at least one of these is considered a tin-type.  These pictures were passed down to my mother from her father's side of the family.  They actually are related to her adopted paternal grandmother's line and it's not a line that I've been focusing on.

I haven't spent any time at all researching these lines, so this is kind of minimal information about them.  I'm hoping that someone will come across this post and realize a connection.

Lewis Rorabaugh, born 1838 in Pennsylvania and died in 1917 (Iowa, I think). He had a daughter Rose (or Elizabeth Rosella), born 1866 and married in 1884 in Sac, Iowa.  Lewis had a brother named Henry, born about 1848, also Pennsylvania.  Their father was Christopher Rorabaugh, born about 1815 in Pennsylvania.  

The first and third picture appear older than the middle one.  Maybe they were taken between 1865 and 1870?  The picture of the couple could be to celebrate their wedding, in which case, 1884.

And, here's how they are related to me...(mind you, this is not by blood, but through adoption):  Lewis Rorabaugh is my second great grandaunt, Sarah Alice Moon's, husband's father. Rose is her sister-in-law and Christopher is her grandfather-in-law.  The person that inscribed the back of each picture (thank goodness for them), was probably Sarah or her husband, Charles Rorabaugh.  They mostly lived in Polk and Jasper counties in Iowa.  

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about organization or lack thereof.

    Some of these like Lewis were born in Pennsylvania. Where?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts