Nancy Cockerham Jolly Chappell

I'm writing today about one of my ancestors that lived the longest. I've got plenty of ancestors that lived until their mid-80s, but I was looking for somebody older, much older, like over 100.  No luck.  There are cousins and aunts and uncles that have lived a hundred years or more, but no one direct. At least no one that I can confirm.  


So, today, I'm writing about my 3rd great-grandmother, Nancy Cockerham.  She lived until she was 92. I blogged about her several years ago.   
x




She was born September 2, 1830 and died September 16, 1922.  She lived her whole life in Wilkes County, North Carolina.  Nancy lived through the Civil War and had five children before or during the war and lost her first husband and my ancestor, Wesley Jolly, at Gettysburg.  She married again and had two more children. Her second husband was Thomas Lou Chappell.  Their two daughters were born in 1867 and 1868. By the 1870 census, Nancy was listed as a single parent with eight children.  And then she applied for a widow's pension in 1901 as Wesley Jolly's widow, asserting that she had never remarried.  I don't actually have a marriage record for the second marriage, so perhaps she never did remarry, but she did have two children with Lou Chappell...

Anyway, Nancy lived through the Civil War as a young mom and then she lived through World War I as an old widow, living with her youngest daughter.  I'll bet she had some stories. 



Comments

Popular Posts